Art & Design
Liepaja Secondary Art School was founded in 1926 based on applied arts, with 4 specializations: Color, Fiber, Clay and Wood. Since then school has changed its name several times and developed other study programs.
From 1st of September 2016 school is reorganized by combining two schools from music and art field, now running as Liepaja Music, Art and Design Secondary School. Latvian republic Cabinet of ministers assigned for school status of The Centre of Competency Based Professional Education from 1st of January 2017.
One of the school main aims is to promote knowledge, skills and attitudes, which provides acquisition of vocational education and preparing professionals in music and art industry with theoretical knowledge and practical skills ready to get involved in labor market.
At this moment school offers four-year secondary vocational education (after the 9th grade in elementary school) in one of the following specialties:
- FASHION DESIGN
- PRODUCT DESIGN (METAL, WOOD, CERAMICA, TEXTILE)
- FASHION ACCESSORIES DESIGN (LEATHER, METAL)
- INTERIOR DESIGN
- ADVERTISEMENT DESIGN (GRAPHICS DESIGN)
- MULTIMEDIA DESIGN
- VISUAL ART (PHOTO AND ART)
Students learn a variety of subjects in professional and secondary education:
1. General syllabus – Mathematics, Latvian language and literature, Foreign languages - English, French, German, Psychology, Informatics, Technical drawing, History, History of culture, History of art, Design basics, Business basics, Sport.
2. Special syllabus – Drawing, Painting, Language of art, Font lesson, Graphic design, Photo, Computer graphics, Modeling.
3. Professional syllabus – Composition, Studies of specialty, Practical training, Study practice, Qualification practice.
In the final year of studies students have to realize diploma work – technical project and work in material, to receive diploma with a qualification of a designer in the chosen specialty.